The strongest testimony to the value of our education is the success of our alumni. From founding HOK—one of the largest architectural firms in the world—to exhibiting work at major museums and galleries throughout the world, to teaching at top colleges and universities, our graduates are making a tremendous impact in a diverse range of fields.
Our most recent Awards for Distinction recipients exemplify this level of excellence and breadth of expertise:
- As associate partner and managing director of the Education practice for global design firm IDEO, Sandy Speicher (BFA96) and her teams have helped to create a scalable, affordable school model in Peru; strategies to improve schools for the poor in India; a tablet-based platform to help kids in Brazil develop basic literacy; and a new vision for the food system in San Francisco's schools.
- Under the direction of Angelyn Chandler (BA89), the New York City Department of Parks & Recreation has greatly expanded its green space and undertaken significant projects focused on reconstructing compromised and under-resourced sites at thriving public spaces.
- Mark Fox (BFA85) has woven his interest in language and narrative into his artistic practice, including works that are included in the public collections of the Museum of Modern Art, the Whitney Museum of American Art, and the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston.
- As a principal and designer with Ann Beha Architects, Thomas M. Hotaling (MArch77) works with cultural and academic communities nationally to create new settings for their expanding missions that invite participation and engagement, through designs that combine preservation with contemporary design, informed by in-depth research and the exploration of diverse options.
- Elizabeth Giardina (BFA02) is vice president of design at Derek Lam 10 Crosby, where she has worked alongside Derek Lam to create the concept, attitude, and aesthetic for the contemporary diffusion line.
- Eric John Cesal (MArch/MBA08, MCM09) is a designer, writer, builder, and social advocate, with particular expertise in the area of post-disaster reconstruction, having undertaken major projects in Haiti, Japan, New York, and the Philippines with Architecture for Humanity.